Man, sometimes you just NEED that crunching sensation when low-carbing.
Since we’re off all those awful refined carbohydrates, the store-brand cheese crackers just WON’T do!
Luckily I’ve come up with the easiest low-carb cracker the world has ever seen! (Sensationalist??)
LOL, but seriously, these are simple, very tasty, and have virtually NO carbs.
I promise you this – at some stage of reading this article you’re going to say, “Nah, that’s not going to work!”. I know because I did too when I first got the idea. It’s really WEIRD but it works!
Essential Ingredients – Grated cheese, that’s it!
Ideally you would have
- Grated cheese of your choice
- Tiny flakes of almonds (buy flaked almonds in the store and crush them with your hands)
- Any herbs/spices you might like to try
I use the ‘Spicy Mozzarella & Cheddar Grated’ from Tesco (I also get the flaked almonds there).
- Get some baking paper (you need this so that the cheese won’t stick)
- sprinkle on some grated cheese and form it into a circle – about 20g of cheese per cracker works well here
- Sprinkle some flaked almonds on top – a very small, 2-3g is all you need per cracker
- Now Simply pop the cheese (still on the baking paper) into the microwave
- Nuke them at full power for about 1 minute
- Voila – they should now be hard and ‘puffed up’. If a bit gooey round the edges that’s ok. Just take them out of the microwave and let cool.
Granted, they look a little weird but taste delicious when left to cool and harden up.
TIP! If you want to make a batch, throw the ingredients into a bowl in a 10:1 ratio of cheese to flaked almonds e.g. 100g cheese and 10g flaked almonds. Then batch them out into individual crackers – they turn out a little better when the almonds are mixed through the cheese as opposed to sitting on top of it.
I guess there’d be a maximum of 0.5g carbohydrate per 20g cracker!
A slice of tomato and ham folded up works very well on these
There you have it. Couldn’t be simpler!