Man I LOVE this recipe!
Yes you can have pizza on a low-carb diet, but you have to make it yourself
Think about it. All the ingredients in a pizza are low carb except the crust. There are 2 ways to get around this:
- Go Crustless!
- Use a Low Carb Tortilla as a base
Now I know what you’re thinking, “If there’s no crust, it’ll just be a sloppy mess”. Not so.
The crustless pizza can be sliced and picked up by hand.
The cheese turns hard and crunchy itself, it’s really cool.
Low Carb Pizza Recipe
Here’s what you need:
- Ground beef(cooked) or sliced chicken (cooked)
- Green Peppers
- Pizza Sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Throw some grated cheese into the frying pan/skillet. Arrange it into a circle, this is your base.
- Now turn on the pan to a medium/high heat and fry cheese until edges are turning brown.
- Now spoon on your pizza sauce
- Immediately add the rest of your ingredients in the quantities you’d like
- Now simply wait a minute until the underside of the cheese is hard (don’t worry, it will!). Be careful not to burn it though.
- Remove from heat, slice with pizza cutter and enjoy!
Once you add your sauce and toppings, you’re only a couple of minutes from being done. If you find your chicken or beef isn’t hot enough, stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Leaving the pizza on the pan for too long will burn the cheese base!
Total net carbs are only going to be 3-5 grams – it depends on how much pizza sauce you use.
Like all my recipes, it’s easy and fast. If it wasn’t so, I wouldn’t make it!
Another option is to grab a low carb tortilla and add your ingredients as above. Now slide this into the oven until the cheese begins to brown. Pizza sauce is naturally low carb so total net carbs here are going to be 7 or 8 for the tortilla version.
Experiment with it by adding different toppings and seasonings e.g. adding taco seasoning (like the one used in my taco salad recipe) to ground beef produces a really flavorsome dish.
image credit: torrie27