‘Men’s Health’ recently published a list of the top 30 foods that build muscle – and it SHOCKED me!!
Because it was good! It contained accurate information and wasn’t, as I had anticipated, a low-fat fare. I believe attitudes are changing out there – about time!
This is a really useful list.
Also, if I have placed a green tick beside the item, consider it good for the low-carb section of the MANS diet.
So here goes…
30 Foods That Build Muscle
(1) Sunflower Seeds – High in protein at 25grams per 100g and a great little snack.
(2) Mackerel - High in omega 3 fats and protein.
(3) Pineapple - strange choice, they said it’s good post-workout.
(4) Edamame Beans – Another name for soy beans. Not a bad source of protein but also contains 10grams of carbohydrate per 100grams with only 14 grams of protein. They do contain all essential amino acids and are a complete protein but animal sources of protein are better for MANS dieters i.e. higher protein, less carbs.
(5) Olive Oil – The monounsaturated fat in olive oil helps prevent muscle breakdown and protects joints
(6) Venison - High protein and vitamin B12 content
(7) Broccoli - I’ve blogged about the greatness of these miniature bonsai trees before in ‘Top 10 Reasons you Need Broccoli in Your Diet‘. I was glad to see it included!
(8) Eggs - Cheap, high in protein, fat and vitamin D which is essential for maintaining healthy muscle tissue! One of the best foods on earth. Go here to learn the top 10 reason you should have eggs in your diet.
(9) Coffee - They stated that caffeine improves endurance by easing muscle pain. I would agree with that and recently wrote about the benefit of a little pre-workout caffeine blast!
(10) Anchovies - Another protein and omega 3 rich food
(11) Turmeric. The explanation is that the curcumin found in turmeric promotes muscle growth and repair. Add a pinch to your chicken curry recipe for added flavor and to experience the benefits.
(12) Full-Fat Organic Milk – Wow! They actually opted for the full-fat version . I’m not a big milk lover but when I do drink it, I take full-fat. Use sparingly on MANS
(13) Ginger - Alleviates muscle pain.
(14) Grass-Fed Organic Beef. Again, I’m impressed! They state, “Nothing beats pure beef protein for building muscles” – exactly right! They also recommend grass-fed beef as it is higher in CLA (conjugated Linoleic Acid) – this is correct.
(15) Live Natural Yogurt - Helps increase good bacteria in the gut which aids protein digestion
(16) Watercress - High in iron and vitamin C.
(17) Quinoa - (pronounced keen-wah) Again, a complete protein and a good choice for high-carb bodybuilders. Men’s health state, “Forget your usual starchy carbs” – good advice!
(18) Ricotta Cheese – Made from whey protein which, of course, aids muscle growth
(19) Kiwi Fruit – Because of the vitamin C apparently – choose broccoli instead and have some kiwi at the weekends if you like.
(20) Tahini - (made from sesame seeds) High in zinc which plays a role in cell growth and protein synthesis.
(21) Cucumber- contains silica which is a component of your connective tissue
(22) Turkey - Protein and glutamine which regulates protein synthesis
(24) Papaya - Contains papain which breaks dietary protein into easily absorbable compounds
(25) Wheatgerm - Contains chromium, which improves glucose intake into muscle cells.
(27) Spirulina - 65% protein. It’s also about 20% carbohydrate and not needed by MANS dieters. Could come in handy for vegetarians and vegans though.
(28) Water - Definitely too far down on the list for my liking. Water is crucial for peak strength, aiding digestion and maximizing the effectiveness of creatine monohydrate. Read my article ‘Why you Need Water to Build Muscle.’
(29) Cherry Juice – Reduces Muscle Pain
(30) Spinach - Octacosanol, found in spinach, improves muscular strength and endurance.
This is a great list of foods and I really believe that it demonstrates the changing opinion of the mainstream Heck, the low-carb, high fat TNT Diet is a Men’s Health book!
Enjoy these foods even if your friends or family look at you like you’re crazy. When you reach your goal and look fantastic you can say, “I told you so”
image credit: avlxyz