You’ll note in THT 4 that I talk about 2 different types of dips. Understanding the difference is important guys, so please read this one and put it to work right away!
There is one type of dip that is optimized for the chest, and one that is optimized for the triceps.
You’ll notice the difference in both these body parts when you make these important tweaks!
The difference lies in…
…THE RANGE OF MOTION!
Tricep & Chest Dips – Exercise Variation
Let’s look at the chest dip first.
In THT 4 I refer to DEEP Dips (some refer to these a “wide” dips). This would imply that at the bottom of the rep, you go as deep as possible.
1) As you lower your body, really lean forward into the movement
2) As your upper arms reach parallel to the floor, allow your elbows to flare out wider. This will allow you to go deeper
3) Now go right to the bottom where you’ll feel a real stretch across your pecs.
4) Now perform the positive part of the rep but stop short of locking out at the top
5) The last approx. 3 inches of the rep are all taken on the triceps. Don’t work in this range. Stop short and start the negative again.
6) Including those last few inches would ensure that you fatigue the triceps and almost certainly mean that the set would prematurely end at failure of the triceps, not the chest.
Now let’s take a look at Triceps Dips.
1) While you still need to lean into a tricep dip just a little, you should keep your body more upright than the chest dip.
2) Most importantly, do NOT go lower than when your upper arms are parallel to the floor on a tricep optimized dip.
3) Your elbows don’t need to flare out here. Stop short of going deep because that is the range of motion where the pecs are doing all the work.
4) Now perform the positive part of the rep and go all the way to the top to force a FULL contraction of the triceps.
NOTE: If you’ve never performed these 2 different versions of dips, you’ll most likely be able to tricep dip more than you can chest dip (if you are adding weight). Don’t be shocked by this as it is quite normal.
Start these right away, guys! And I’d love to hear your feedback on them.
Train With Intensity!
Can I give you my free muscle-building workout?
Join thousands over the world who are packing on slabs of new muscle for free with Targeted Hypertrophy Training (THT).