If you’re short on time but still want to stimulate MAXIMUM muscle growth THT-style, this article is for YOU!
I’ve had a number of requests for an abbreviated 3-day version of the THT Volume Routine (a 5-day split).
So here it is. Fresh from the MuscleHack lab and into your gym! The best routine for hitting the full body in a 3-day split.
NOTE: Workout Logs are at the bottom of the article for download.
And you can download the full and free THT training program right now by simply entering your details below…
The following factors were taken into account when designing this workout:
(1) This workout puts a 48 hour buffer between working your shoulders, chest, and triceps. This is because you can’t train one of these body parts without involving the others. So we want to be rested and at full strength before we train each of these muscle groups. Working the shoulders on Monday, the chest on Wednesday, and the triceps on Friday will allow you to perform at your BEST in all 3 sessions.
(2) It also optimally splits up your back and leg workouts allowing for full recovery of both these body parts (you need full leg recovery in order to deadlift at your very best). So Legs are trained on Monday, with the back being worked on Friday.
(3) It avoids working synergists and fixator muscles prior to the agonist or prime mover. Don’t change the order that the body parts are worked in.
(4) As always, perform each set to the point of positive muscular failure
(5) (Optional) Traps can go on Monday, but I know that I’d personally have more energy left after Friday’s workout, so I’ve put it there by default.
So stick to this exactly as it is, guys. No Tweaking!
THT 3-Day Workout Plan
Here’s the brief outline of how your week is going to look:
- Monday: Legs & Shoulders
- Wednesday: Chest, Biceps, & Abs
- Friday: Back, Triceps, & Traps
This is not an easy routine. It’s going to be tough to hit 3 body parts in a single workout with THT-style intensity. But if you’re ready and willing to do what it takes, let’s delve into this…
Monday: Legs & Shoulders
- Barbell Squats (2 sets)
- Leg Presses (2 sets)
- Leg Curls (1 set)
- Leg Extensions (1 set)
- Standing Calf Raises (2 or 3 sets) (or you can use the Leg Press Machine for these). Take a full 5-minute break here before hitting your shoulders. A separate shoulder warm-up is also needed.
- Overhead Barbell Press (3 sets)
- Overhead Dumbbell Press (2 sets)
- Dumbbell or Machine Lateral Raises (2 sets)
- Dumbbell Front Raises (1 set)
Wednesday: Chest, Abs, Biceps
- Flat Bench Press (2 sets)
- Pec Deck (2 sets)
- Deep Dips (1 set)
- Incline Bench Press (1 set) We want to rest our arms before hitting the biceps, so we’ll work our abs in the middle.
- Kneeling Cable Crunches (2 sets)
- Weighted Decline Sit-Ups (2 sets)
- Reverse Crunches (2 sets)
- Cable Preacher Curls (2 sets)
- Barbell Bicep Curls (2 sets)
- EZ Curl Bar Curls (2 sets)
- Seated Incline Dumbbell Curls (1 set)
Friday: Back, Triceps, & Traps
- Deadlifts (2 sets)
- Cable Rows (2 sets)
- Dumbbell Rows (2 sets). Take a full 5-minute break here before hitting your triceps.
- Decline Skull Crushers/French Presses (2 sets) (use a close grip on an EZ bar – use this compound form, not the strict isolated form)
- Cable Pushdowns (2 sets)
- Cable Bent-Over Tricep Extensions (2 sets)
- McManus Tricep Pushdown (2 sets). Take a full 5-minute break here before hitting your traps.
Now I’ve no doubt that there are a few exercises you just can’t do for some reason. In that case, refer to the THT Exercise Bank for my recommended alternatives.
Simply cycle this 3 day plan with the HIT cycle in the free THT book, which is also a 3 day routine. This will allow you to keep GROWING and getting stronger indefinitely! If you don’t know anything about THT training yet, download your copy of the free book by adding your name and email into the box at the top-right of this page and start succeeding once and for all!
Now, here are the workout logs for this workout. The rep ranges and rest times between sets are clearly marked in the logs.
The logs are in OpenOffice format as OpenOffice is free and can be used on both PC’s and macs. You can download OpenOffice here.
You’ll need to unzip the folder. If you don’t have unzipping software, you can get some here.
YES you can do this workout with Total Six Pack Abs. Although TSPA already comes with the option of a 3-day full body routine, you can use this 3-day split if you prefer to use splits.
While this specific workout isn’t in the MuscleHack App, remember that there is the option to customize a workout. So you can create this routine easily and log your progress in the gym on your mobile device.
Enjoy! And you know what to do…
MAKE EVERY REP COUNT!
MAKE EVERY SET COUNT!
P.S. Feel free to give me feedback on your progress with this cycle here and/or at the facebook page.