If you’re short on time but still want to stimulate MAXIMUM muscle growth, this article is for YOU!
I’ve had a number of requests for an abbreviated 3-day version of the Targeted Hypertrophy Training (THT) 5-day routine (a 5-day split).
So here it is. Fresh from the MuscleHack lab and into your gym! The best routine for hitting the full body in a 3-day split.
NOTE: You can download the full and free THT training program right now by simply entering your details below. It contains both my 5-day split plan and 3-day full body workout routines. THT training is free. After inputting your email, you will be taken directly to the download page for instant access to the workout. There is no need to go and confirm your email. Join 69,000 others and start succeeding today.
You seriously do not know what you’re missing. I recommend you begin with the 3-day plan in the 8-12 rep range. Also, make sure you get the Android and iPhone apps (search for musclehack on your device).
You don’t have to go to your email to confirm anything. Once you click the button, you’ll be taken straight to the download page 😀 I operate a ‘Strictly Zero Spam‘ policy.
The following factors were taken into account when designing this workout:
(1) This workout puts a 48 hour buffer between working your shoulders, chest, and triceps. This is because you can’t train one of these body parts without involving the others. So we want to be rested and at full strength before we train each of these muscle groups. Working the shoulders on Monday, the chest on Wednesday, and the triceps on Friday will allow you to perform at your BEST in all 3 sessions.
(2) It also optimally splits up your back and leg workouts allowing for full recovery of both these body parts (you need full leg recovery in order to deadlift at your very best). So Legs are trained on Monday, with the back being worked on Friday.
(3) It avoids working synergists and fixator muscles prior to the agonist or prime mover. So don’t change the order that the body parts are worked in.
(4) As always, perform each set to the point of positive muscular failure in the 8-12 rep range.
(5) (Optional) Traps can go on Monday, but I know that I’d personally have more energy left after Friday’s workout, so I’ve put it there by default.
So stick to this exactly as it is, guys. No tweaking!
THT 3-Day Split Plan
Here’s the brief outline of how your week is going to look:
- Monday: Legs & Shoulders
- Wednesday: Chest, Biceps, & Abs
- Friday: Back, Triceps, & Traps
This is not an easy routine. It’s going to be tough to hit 3 body parts in a single workout with THT-style intensity. But if you’re ready and willing to do what it takes, let’s delve into this…
MONDAY: LEGS & SHOULDERS
LEGS: 10-11 SETS
- Barbell Squats (3 sets)
- Leg Presses (3 sets)
- Leg Curls (1 set)
- Leg Extensions (1 set)
- Standing Calf Raises (2 or 3 sets) (or you can use the Leg Press Machine for these). Take a full 5-minute break here before hitting your shoulders. A separate shoulder warm-up is also needed.
SHOULDERS: 8 SETS
- Overhead Barbell Press (3 sets)
- Overhead Dumbbell Press (2 sets)
- Dumbbell or Machine Lateral Raises (2 sets)
- Dumbbell Front Raises (1 set)
WEDNESDAY: CHEST, ABS, BICEPS
CHEST: 6 SETS
If you find your chest a stubborn body part to get growing, consider trying my Chest Blast Workout, which saw volunteers add up to 3 inches to their chests in just over a week!
- Flat Bench Press (2 sets)
- Decline Dumbbell Bench Press (2 sets)
- Deep Chest Dips (1 set)
- Incline Bench Press (1 set) We want to rest our arms before hitting the biceps, so we’ll work our abs in between these body parts.
ABS: 6 SETS
Guys, please bear in mind that you cannot “spot reduce” fat loss in one area (like the belly). If you want a ripped six-pack, you’re going to need to reduce your overall body fat percentage. See my Total Six Pack Abs program for the fastest and easiest way to do it.
- Kneeling Cable Crunches (2 sets)
- Weighted Decline Sit-Ups (2 sets). Followed by…
- Reverse Crunches (2 sets)
BICEPS: 7 SETS
- Cable Preacher Curls (2 sets)
- Barbell Bicep Curls (2 sets)
- Concentration Curls (2 sets)
- Seated Incline Dumbbell Curls (1 set)
NOTE: I created an Arms Blast experimental workout that can add up to an inch on your arms (biceps and triceps) in just a week.
FRIDAY: BACK, TRICEPS, TRAPS
BACK: 6 SETS
- Deadlifts (2 sets)
- Cable Rows (2 sets)
- Dumbbell Rows (2 sets). Take a full 5-minute break here before hitting your triceps.
TRICEPS: 8 SETS
- Cable Pushdowns (2 sets)
- Cable Bent-Over Tricep Extensions (2 sets)
- One-Arm Reverse Pushdowns (2 sets). Take a full 5-minute break here before hitting your traps.
TRAPS: 3 SETS
Now I’ve no doubt that there are a few exercises you just can’t do for some reason. In that case, refer to the THT Exercise Bank that comes with the free THT training download for my recommended alternatives.
Simply cycle this 3-day version of the 5-day split with the 3-day full body routine found in the free THT book, and this will allow you to keep GROWING and getting stronger indefinitely! If you don’t know anything about THT training yet, download your copy of the free training guide below and start growing today…
YES you can do this workout with Total Six Pack Abs. Although TSPA already comes with the option of a 3-day full body routine, you can use this 3-day split if you prefer to use splits.
While this specific workout isn’t in the MuscleHack App, remember that there is the option to customize a workout. So you can create this routine easily and log your progress in the gym on your mobile device.
If you’ve any questions, go ahead and ask me below, guys. I’m happy to help 😀
Enjoy! And you know what to do…
MAKE EVERY REP COUNT!
MAKE EVERY SET COUNT!
P.S. Feel free to give me feedback on your progress with this cycle here and/or at the facebook page.